To all bodhran players/enthusiasts

Laura Tuohy

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

After visiting Josh Mittleman's Bodhran site, I got really interested
in learning more about this instrument. I am interested in what other
bodran players/enthusiasts have to say about the role of the bodran in
celtic music.

* What do you see as the role of the bodhran in celtic music?
* How do you perceive the reputation of the bodhran and bodhran
players in today's celtic music? Any anecdotes?
* Since so little is actually written about the bodhran, how did you
learn to play?
* Is anyone familiar with the use of the bodhran by "wren boys" on
the feast of St. Stephen? What is that all about?
* Are their any folktales or stories associated with the bodhran?

I would appreciate any input you may have (anecdotes especially
welcomed). Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Laura

Joseph Mulvanerty

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97
to Laura Tuohy

Laura Tuohy wrote:

> Is anyone familiar with the use of the bodhran by "wren boys" on
> the feast of St. Stephen? What is that all about?

The following description is by Malachy Kearns:

In Ireland the drum, although mainly used for entertainment, still on
occasions is
used for religious/cultural festivals. One that comes to mind is St.
Stephen's Day, =

December 26th - 'The Wren Hunt'! when groups of people with blackened
faces, wearing outlandish costumes, usually made of straw, parade a
captured wren bird from house to house, playing music and singing a
ceremonial song. =

=

-- =

Joseph Mulvanerty
Seosaimh =D3 Maolbheannachta=ED =

MULVA...@WORLDNET.ATT.NET

Dulcmrdav

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

I have been playing the bodhran about 9 years now and hope I can
give you some insite. I went to a Golden Bough concert locally and
afterwards there was a bodhran workshop. I really fell in love with the
instrument at the workshop and couldn't wait to get one. After banging it
for a few weeks and getting some technique down I started playing in
sessions. I like most beginning bodhran players was a little over
enthusastic and played louder than I should have. I think that this is
where bodhran players get their bad rap (pun intended). Fortunately for me
one of the players asked me to tone it down. Most session players will put
up with a bad bodhran player for longer than they should to keep fron
hurting their feelings of squashing their zeal. What is really bad is a
bodhran player with no rhythm. You can tell someone to to play quietly but
you can't make someone play in time.
As to choosing a bodhran, the best advice is to play several until
you find one you like. The same advice applies to tippers. Unless you get
a bodhran with a synthetic head (yuck!) it can change greatly due to
enviornmental conditions, so it will sound different almost every time you
play. You can get around this by getting a bodhran that is tunable. But
unless you play a lot and sometimes out of doors you probably don't need
to spend the extra bucks. Hope this helps. Dave
P.S. Most people say that a bodhran is just a tamborine on steroids. Its
true and it just proves that if you take steroids you will get bigger, but
your jingles will fall off!

Joshua Mittleman

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

> * What do you see as the role of the bodhran in celtic music?

I will resist the temptation to play with the phrase "the role of the
bodhran".

> * Since so little is actually written about the bodhran, how did you
> learn to play?

There are a dozen or more good books available on how to learn to play
bodhran. Several of them are accompanied by audio or video tapes.

> * Is anyone familiar with the use of the bodhran by "wren boys" on

> the feast of St. Stephen? What is that all about?

> * Are their any folktales or stories associated with the bodhran?

You might want to find a copy of "The Bodhran Makers", by John B. Keane
(published Dingle, Co. Kerry , Ireland and Wolfeboro, N.H., U.S.A. :
Brandon Book Publishers, 1986. 353 p. LCN PR6061.E2 B34 1986. 1st
American ed. New York : Vanguard Press, 1988, 1986. 2nd American ed. New
York : Four Walls Eight Windows, 1992. 353 p. LCN PR6061.E2 B34 1992).
It is a novel, but includes some of the folk history of the bodhran.

Josh Mittleman mit...@panix.com